Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sunday morning breakfast



Growing up both of my parents worked so I always hand to fend for myself during the week for breakfast. I never had eggs or pancakes so when my mom cooked on Saturday and Sunday mornings I truly appreciated it. As an adult, Saturday and Sunday are still the only days that I make something more than cereal or an english muffin for breakfast. My mom either made pancakes or omelets for breakfast on the weekends. To this day I've never had a better pancake than one my mom makes. She never follows recipes or writes things down so obviously I can't recreate her recipe therefore I had to find my own.

The recipe I use is from a brunch cookbook; Brunch:The perfect Weekend Treat. It is more appropriate for the fall and winter but I had some apples in the house so I decided to make it in the summer.

Apple Pancakes with Maple Syrup Butter (serve 4-6)
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 egg
1 cup milk
2 apples, peeled and grated
1 teaspoon butter

Maple Syrup Butter
3 oz butter, softened
3 tablespoons maple syrup

Mix the flour, sugar, and cinnamon together in a bowl and make a well in the center. Beat the egg and the milk together and pour into the well. Using a wooden spoon, gently incorporate the dry ingredients into the liquid until well combined, then stir in the grated apple.

Heat the butter in a large nonstick skillet over low heat until melted and bubbling. Add tablespoons of the pancake mixture to form 3-4 inch circles. Cook each pancake for about 1 minute, until it starts to bubble lightly on the top and look set, then flip it over and cook the other side for 30 seconds, or until cooked through. The pancakes should be golden brown; if not, increase the heat a little. Remove from the skillet and keep warm. Repeat the process until all of the pancake batter has been used up (it is not necessary to add extra butter).

To make the maple syrup, melt the butter with the maple syrup in a pan over low heat and stir until combined. To serve, place the pancakes on servicing dishes and spoon over flavored butter. Serve warm. ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment