Saturday, June 5, 2010

Summer drinks

I went on vacation, from my vacation, with my amazing fiance. He took us on a 7 day cruise to the western Caribbean. It was out first cruise and was exactly how I thought it would be. A relaxing, carefree trip that required very little planning on our part because Carnival took care of everything. We had a good time getting a little taste of a few different countries so that we know which ones we'd like to go back to and explore more.

The point of that little story was to explain where I've been and why I haven't blogged in a long time. Jason and I were pretty busy this week so the cooking was pretty basic and I didn't try any new food recipes. We did however bring back some tasty alcohol from our trip so I made a few summer cocktails that I thought I would share.

A taste of paradise (I made up this title because well, I drank it while on vacation with my love)
1 part Malibu Rum
2-3 parts Pineapple Juice



Pour into a cup of ice with a pineapple wedge.

I ordered this drink a lot on our trip because it is delicious and because it was cheaper than ordering lots of the fruity frozen concoctions Carnival tried to get us to order while laying out by the pool everyday. Our wallets at the end of the cruise thanked us.

Easy Margaritas
1 can of frozen Limeade (12 oz)
14oz of water
1 cup of Tequila (1800 Silver- I prefer silver or white Tequilas)
4oz of Triple Sec



Mix in a pitcher, pour into a cup of ice with a salted rim and a slice of lime. I really only drink margaritas on the rocks so this is how I made them. I think if you replace the water with ice (maybe 2 cups of ice) and put it in a blender, you could make them frozen if you prefer them that way.

Last night I decided to be a good fiancee and have some treats ready for Jason when he got home from work. I made margaritas and guacamole and used the Tequila we got on our trip.

Guacamole (for 2)
1 large avocado
2 table spoons of chopped onions (red are best, white are fine)
1 garlic clove (crushed)
1 tablespoon of cilantro
1/2 teaspoon of Sriracha Sauce (or hot sauce)
1/2 teaspoon of salt (add more after you've mixed everything together)



Add the onions, garlic, cilantro, sriracha sauce (i love this stuff and it adds a good amount of heat and flavor to any dish), and salt into a medium sized bowl. Press the ingredients together and against the side of the bowl using a fork for a few minutes. The goal is to create a paste like consistency. Then add the diced avocado to the mixture. Don't mix too much because you want to leave some chunks. Taste to make sure more salt is not needed. I over salted last night so i added some tomatoes to my guacamole to help with the saltiness. As a general rule of thumb, I don't add tomatoes because I think they change the flavor and texture a little. But that is just a personal preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment