Thursday, May 20, 2010

Moe Hall Recipe #1-Taco Salad

Since I am here in Shreveport with Jason I've decided to go on the road with him when his job requires it. We were in Alexandria, Louisiana Monday through Wednesday this week and it was ohhhhh so exciting. Anyways, it prohibited me from cooking and instead we ate at Cracker Barrel, no judgment, though they have the best breakfast so I can't hate on them that much. To make up for the missed time, I decided to make some Hall family recipes that I grew up eating but rarely make. Today I made taco salad with a homemade dough that I used to make with my mom, Moe :) We used this recipe to make homemade pizza every Friday night and taco salads every few weeks. Tomorrow I'll be making pizza since it is FRIDAY! Perhaps a future Brett family tradition?

Homemade Dough (for 4 people)
1 cup of warm water
1 packet of yeast
2 tablespoons of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil6. 2 cups of flour (sometimes 2 1/2 cups)

Dissolve the yeast in the cup of water, then mix in the sugar and the salt. Add the vegetable oil after the yeast, sugar, and salt are dissolved. Mix in the flour 1/2 cup at a time so that you do not add too much flour. If the dough is sticky add a little more flour. Let the dough rest and have a chance to rise by putting a towel over the bowl and place that in a warm corner. I always add hot water to a different bowl and place the other bowl with the dough in it, on top of the bowl of water. I let it sit for about 30 minutes, allowing enough time for the dough to double in size. Since it is just Jason and me eating, I took half of the dough, put it in a bag for tomorrow's recipe, and placed it in the fridge.


Split the remaining dough in half and roll out each half into a circle. Warm up a skillet to medium high and spray it with Pam or put a little vegetable oil in the pan. Once the pan has heated up, put the rolled out dough into the pan. Cook on each side for about 2-3 minutes. Repeat for the other half of the dough. The bread is now ready to be topped with your favorite beans, meat, and veggies!


I warmed up and chopped up a few of my favorite toppings for taco salad. I cooked ground turkey and put taco seasoning in it. I warmed up some black beans in the microwave. I also chopped up romaine lettuce, plum tomatoes, and an avocado. I topped off my salad with some shredded cheese, low fat sour cream, and salsa!

Tasty!

5 comments:

  1. You forgot that the other part of the tradition was making Kool-Aid while waiting for the dough to rise - and saving the points to one day buy a walkie-talkie.
    Nathan and I have made Moe's pizza dough recipe - it truly is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious, boo! Love the new blog. xoxo, Kev.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mer- Ohhh Kool-Aid:) We never got those walkie talkies and it makes me sad. We would've had some sweet late night talks!!!

    Kev- Thanks boo! You can make it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone knows Boo and Mo's taco salad is the truth. EVERYONE.

    ReplyDelete