Saturday, May 15, 2010

Quick, summer meal

My intention in starting this blog was to record my cooking adventures for the summer. But for now, ill just start with the quick, sort of unexciting meal I created tonight. I didn't use a recipe for any of the items, but, we enjoyed the simplicity of everything.

Tonight I made a summer salad with bbq chicken tenders, asparagus, and roasted garlic potatoes.

Summer Salad:
1. Mixed baby greens
2. Radishes
3. Strawberries
4. Alfalfa sprouts
5. Parmesan cheese
6. Raspberry walnut vinaigrette

Thinly slice the radishes and strawberries and add them to the mixed greens and alfalfa sprouts. I use a vegetable peeler to get nice curls of Parmesan cheese and add those to the salad. Add in the vinaigrette and toss together.

I've been making this salad for the past few weeks and I am really enjoy it. Using radishes instead of cucumbers is a nice change of pace. They provide the same crunch I desire from cucumbers but with a different taste. Also, I add enough alfalfa sprouts so that I can see them in the salad, but not enough so that they take over the taste. Both radishes and sprouts are affordable which my grad. school budget appreciates!


Roasted Garlic Potatoes:
1. Red Potatoes
2. Olive Oil
3. Salt (to taste)
4. Pepper (to taste)
5. Crushed fresh garlic (I use about three cloves for 4 cups of potatoes)

Dice up the potatoes; mix together with oil, garlic, salt, pepper; spread on a pan and roast on 400 degrees for about 30-35 mins.


We enjoyed our meal with a bottle of wine that I bought in Charlottesville last month on a vineyard tour. Though I must add, it was one of my least favorite tasting experiences in the Commonwealth.

Rivanna Sunset (Rose)
http://www.burnleywines.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment