Thursday, July 7, 2011

Crock pots are the truth

My bff/old roomie was obsessed with his slow cooker and I always thought he was a little crazy. Not to mention I thought that only old women used them. I was wrong. Yes Patrick, I can admit when I get things twisted. Therefore, I put one on my wedding registry and surprise, Patrick bought it for us! I was eager to find a recipe to make to experience the joys myself. A friend posted a Creamy Tex Mex Chicken recipe to make in the crock pot on Pinterest. It seemed easy enough and I had all of the ingredients so I made it. I could see how this recipe would be ideal for a family of four, note, for a family of 2, it made about 4 meals worth. I put three servings in the freezer to eat at another time.


Ingredients
  • Bag of frozen Chicken Breast Tenderloins (2.5-3lb bag)
  • 8 oz block of cream cheese (don't use Fat Free! 1/3 less fat or regular is fine)
  • Can of Black Beans, drained & rinsed.
  • Can of Corn, drained.
  • Can of Rotel
  • Small scoop of low-fat sour cream
  • Red pepper flakes

Directions

Put frozen chicken in the crock pot. Put Cream cheese on top of the chicken. Dump in the Black Beans (make sure they are drained & rinsed). Dump in the drained corn. Dump in the Rotel. Cover & cook in your Crock Pot on low for 6-8 hours. Every 2 hours, I stir the ingredients. You can shred the chicken when it is done, or just leave it as tenderloins. I turn the crock pot off, add the sour cream, red pepper flakes, and let it sit for about 30-45 minutes. It is a little soupy, but letting it sit causes it to not be as soupy. I serve this over rice.


My Edits: The recipe does not include sour cream or red pepper flakes but I added them in. After the 6 hours the sauce was not as creamy as I would have liked so I decided to add a little sour cream. It instantly changed the texture to what I was hoping for. Also, when I tasted it, it was as spicy as I wanted so I added about a teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes. Fixed, finished, delicious.


4 comments:

  1. don't get it twisted. or else patrick will cut you...in a place you didn't even know you could be cut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you've untwisted on this particular point, due to slowcookers are the truth that one should share with the world. Light in the darkness, food in my belly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm ready to cook for you Kcirtap!

    ps. Tina, do you remember that one time we called him like 100 times to tell him of all the places he could be cut? Man, best cab ride ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. slowwwwwwwwwwww cooking...married to Crystallll forever...life is goooooooood...USA! USA! USA!

    ReplyDelete