Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Mom knows best

My mom is a great cook. She never follows recipes and knows what to mix together and when things are done based on experience. Every time I try to get her to follow a recipe she fails miserably. So when I tasked her with writing down her spicy/cheesy cornbread recipe it was a struggle. But, like the superstar that she is, she got it together and emailed me her recipe. It is so tasty and I was happy to make it for my husband.



Ingredients
  • 1 cup yellow Cornmeal (1 box of jiffy mix)
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder (heaping)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup oil (I used canola/olive blend)
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (approx. 6 oz)
  • 1 can cream corn (15-16 oz)
  • 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies (I used 1/2 can jalapenos)

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees, grease 2 (9-inch) round pans. Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl (set aside). Combine sour cream, eggs, and oil in a medium bowl, stir well. Add cornmeal mixture to the sour cream mixture, add cream corn, cheese and chilies. Mix well. Pour mixture into pans. Bake at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10-15 minutes, cut and serve warm.

My Edits: None. Mom knows best. It served as the perfect compliment to my bbq chicken!

No comments:

Post a Comment